Monday, January 14, 2013

Brioche

Yesterday, to entertain myself and get my mind off the events of Saturday I decided to make brioche. If you don't know what Brioche is I'm terribly sorry because you've been missing out. My best description of brioche is very buttery bread that is just divine. I came home from a long clearing my mind walk I took around St. Johns earlier that morning. Then I decided to make some brioche dough. I have a secret recipe I can't share with you. However this RECIPE, has always done my freinds' quite well. I then put on some Ingrid Michaelson Spotify Radio and began to make the dough for my brioche.
The thing about brioche dough though is you fold in a ridiculous amount of butter. Which makes it taste great so thats fine! However! Since the dough is so fatty it takes a very long time to bulk ferment. So after making the dough I then let it bulk ferment on top of the oven not on any heat, but room temp with a warm towel covering it. This took about 8 hours for it to double in size. After wards I shaped the dough in my little brioche cups I have at my house. I usually weigh them at 2 oz before shaping, but each cup requires a different amount since it will double in size again after proofing. The shaping part can be tricky but this youtube video can be very helpful:

There are other methods to shape brioche, but this one is easy and I have found the most effective. After shaping they will need to proof till they double in size. Then you can bake them. MAKE SURE TO EGGWASH THEM! This adds color and they don't like as dull. You bake them on high heat at first usually around 425F then you can lower it to 350F. This is to get good color and making sure they bake all the way through. Baking doesn't take that long. The hardest things about making brioche are waiting for it to double in size the first time and shaping them. You end up with a delicious butery treat though! This is my brioche!





No comments:

Post a Comment