Monday, January 14, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

This weekend I went to a memorial/celebration of life for a friend of mine who recently passed away. I have never gone to one of these for anyone who wasn't a family member in their 90's, so as you could imagine this was really eye opening and hard. I won't go into much detail about the situation or the celebration, but after it was over and my room mates and I came home I think we all just sat quitely in our rooms alone and tried process it all. To me this event was when it all became very real.
After, sitting in my room in silence and trying to just make sense of everything I was feeling for quite some time I decided to watch Silver Linings Playbook. No, it's not out of theaters yet or on DVD yet and thats all I will say about that. If you don't know what this movie is about you can watch the trailer, but I will give you a brief description. It's about two people who have bi polar disorder finding each other and leveling each other out. How they do this though, besides obviously besides falling in love, is Jennifer Lawrence's character gets Bradley Cooper's character to enter this dance competition with her. Through this dancing they each learn discipline and control of their emotions. Jennifer Lawrence's character, Tiffany, refers to her loving dance because "it's therapy plus it's fun." This is how I feel about dancing. It doesn't really matter to me if I'm good or bad at it, I just like doing it. It's a great way to express your emotions and just dance it out.
After the movie was over, I danced around my living room for about an hour to Shakira Radio on Spotify. I was eventually joined by my best friend and room mate, who right now is accompaning my dance space in our basement. I think this was exactly what we both needed. We didn't talk we just laughed at eachother and danced till we just couldn't anymore. This is why I love dancing. It just makes you feel good. It really is "therapy plus it's fun".

No comments:

Post a Comment